Monday 16 May 2016

FRESHERS TRAVAILS Chapter 2 (JJC on Great IFE Soil)



On campus after dropping at the bus stop due to the recalcitrant act of the Town gboro driver. I looked left and right lost in a school almost with a land mass of a country. Great ife is a state within a State, arguably a better State in Nigeria than Lagos state in my dreams. The walls of great Ife stand tall like the walls of Babylon accommodating various intellectuals.

At the bus stop looking more like an Aiyetoro boy who just came to Lagos for the first time and seeing an  Oshodi like crowd on campus, I was bit bewildered but had to get to my hall of residence as I was very tired. I looked inside my bag to confirm the name of the Hostel to Avoid a "JJC" situation amongst colleagues. Mounting shoulders high like I have arrived like Jenifa, I walked up to a student inquiring for directions to the Hostel. Behold he was also a fresher but a fresher with bush under his Chin; I was like Egbon thank You.

In OAU, it might be quite difficult to differentiate a fresher from a stalite because the snail like academic calendar has made Young boys to grow old and small girls to look marriage ripe. Though Great ife is worth the 40days and 40nights like Isreali sojourn in the wilderness because Great ife isn’t just the most beautiful in Africa but the most outstanding in terms of “pali” saluatation. I have heard numerous stories about how advantageous it is to possess a Great ife certificate. Laugh, if you no go OAU na lesson you go!

In a bid to locate my hostel and settle down since I wasn’t so lucky to have a father that benefitted from the generosity of Dasuki…I stared a bit at the array of cars that passed with Children wearing enthusiastic smiles, I decided to show off a little by calling a bike (I mean Okada) rather than trekking to the hall with my box. “Okada…Angola Hall” and he told me 500 naira. Chai! My heart skipped but I was determined to form big boy because Pride was in me like Peak Milk.

I was brutally “maga-ed” as the bike man merry-go-rounded the campus passing through academics, first bank before heading for Angola. Chisos, Angola now looked like the Journey to Sambisa forest in search of Chibok girls of Mozambique Hall at Anglomoz Carpark. I paid the price for show off and today am still looking for the bike man that “maga-ed” me on Great Ife soil.



Paid AD

No comments:

Post a Comment